C. T. (Tim) Kelley
Drexel Professor of Mathematics (Retired)
Named Professor Emeritus of Mathematics
Tim is a simple man with simple needs.
C. T. Kelley
Department of Mathematics
2311 Stinson Drive
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8205
(919) 515-7163 (office), (919) 515-3798 (FAX)
My research interests are in
radiative transfer problems,
multilevel methods for integral equations,
optimization of noisy functions,
flow in porous media, and computational quantum chemistry and physics.
I am a proud member of the NCSU
Numerical Analysis Group.
I distribute MATLAB software for
Nonlinear Equations, and
Optimization . I have new
Julia software for
My new book:
Solving Nonlinear Equations with Iterative Methods:
Solvers and Examples in Julia will publish in 2022.
Check out the
Julia package and the
- What kind of book is this?
It's an orange book.
- What is this book about?
It's about 200 pages.
- Have you written any other books?
recent publications and tech reports ,
presentations and talks ,
complete vita ,
undergraduate RAs ,
current and former
Ph. D. students,
my mathematical family tree .
I entered phased retirement on July 1, 2021.
- I am officially retired, collecting a pension and medicare.
- My title is (and I am not making this up) Named Professor Emeritus
- I have a half-time appointment ending 6/30/24 working on (as of 7/1/22)
- Students, read this! Pandemic willing,
I will be on the road a lot. So ...
- If I am on your PhD committee, I will continue to do my job. I
may be harder
to schedule, but not impossible. I will attend your exams at 4am from Hong Kong if I must.
- If you want me to be on your PhD committee, I will do it if and only if
- I am collaborating with you on research or
- you are part of the
SIAM has noticed that I have a new job
My last PhD student
Zack Morrow left the building on July 9, 2021. He is now at Sandia.
Katie is now the
Robert A. Plane Endowed Chair at Clarkson University
Old new stuff
My term as SIAM board chair expired in Dec 2019. Praise to the term limit gods!
They made me a
fellow of the AAAS .
Why publish with SIAM?
The Mathematics Department at Purdue gave me the outstanding
Alumnus Award for 2013.
I'm somebody now! Scroll to the bottom of
Henk van der Vorst's
math portrait page.
Why should you join SIAM ?
REALLY OLD picture.
Last modified: August 9, 2022